Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Reluctant Fundamentalist & Arab-American Presentations

The end of The Reluctant Fundamentalist frustrated me. I don't like not knowing for sure what happened. Did Changez die? Was he even a trustworthy narrator in the first place? The book was a surprise for me and something different than I had ever read before. It made me try to see just a little bit from the perspective of someone facing the ugly side of what America can stand for. I think that even though this was not my favorite Lit. book ever, more people should read Hamid's novel. It could start the discussion that needs to happen more often here in America.

The Arab-American presentations today were particularly enjoyable for me. I thought Claire and Andrea's teaching ideas presentation was very thorough and informative. I had not really realized how similar some Christian and Islamic beliefs and values are. I also really appreciated the interview Andrea did and how that applied so directly to our community. Sometimes, I think what we discuss in class is so generalized to our country that it never gets personal, but here is a 22 year old man living HERE in our community. Like the Loewen quote that was used multiple times today, it's the emotion that makes what we learn stick. My favorite part of the presentations was seeing, hearing and learning about musician, Kareem Salama. I was surprised at how much I genuinely enjoyed his music. I really do want to get some of his songs to put on my iPod. I seriously enjoy his style and message. I think what he and other artists are doing multiculturally is so cool. Taking such talent and pairing it with an emotional message could really make some people think and consider what others go through.

No comments:

Post a Comment